Ed Ryan at Podcast Business Journal published an article about making money with ads on your show, and it’s worth a read.
When you have a great show, and you have a loyal audience, you have something of value to advertisers. The real question is how hard are you willing to work to get through to those advertisers.
Also worth checking out: Downloads aren’t the whole story: Here are the most important podcast metrics to watch from Dan Misener of Pacific Content.
If you want a holistic view of your show’s success, there are many important questions to ask. For instance:
- Do listeners spend time with our show?
- Who are we reaching with our show?
- What’s the size of our reach?
- Do listeners like our show?
- Are our podcast marketing efforts actually working?
- Does our podcast change listeners’ awareness/perception of us?
☝️You can’t answer any of these questions with a download count alone.